Saturday 16 November 2013

Lahore Exotic Cuisine

拉合爾異國美食

No. 86, Linquan St, Lingya Dist
雄市苓雅區林泉街86號
(07)726-6803

Tuesday-Sunday 
11:00am-2:00pm
4:30pm-9:00pm

facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Lahore.tw

English friendly: yes
vegetarian friendly: yes
average cost: 100-150NTD

I think I have a crush on this restaurant, everyone. Each time I think back about it I get happy butterflies in my stomach. I am just so, so glad that it exists.


Lahore "Exotic Cuisine" is what happens when a Mexican food stall and an Indian restaurant in Kaohsiung, Taiwan decide to combine forces to create something wonderful. It feels like there are so many stories behind this place, part of the reason it tickles me so. It's owners are (at least) two exotically ambiguously ethnic men and probably their Taiwanese wives. The guy at the front greeted us in fluent Chinese, which will be sure to amuse and delight all Taiwanese members of your dinner party. I was also amused and delighted.


Once again their menu is gigantic, so come prepared to conquer your crippling indecision or you'll never get to eat. On the left you have a selection of curries (paired with either rice or naan), on the right a selection of burritos, and in the center an intriguing and sometimes frightening selection of exotic drinks. 


You can order your curry/burrito on its own or as part of a set meal, in which case it comes with Indian milk tea and this slightly sweet fruit and yogurt dish. The milk tea was not overly sweet or thick, like most Taiwanese bubble milk tea, so it actually seemed a little watered down to me... Heh. But it was still good, and the yogurt made for a pleasant little dessert.


I chose the "Turkish yogurt drink (salty)", even though I was scared of it. It served its purpose quite well, in that it was INTERESTING, and even good, at least for the first few sips. It sort of tasted like salty, watered-down, sour butter, if that makes any sense. You should try it if you haven't had anything of the sort before, because you probably won't find it anywhere else. Just make sure to bring a few friends along to share the experience i.e. help you finish it.


The brilliance behind this restaurant, why it just works, is that the naan for the curry and the tortillas for the burritos are actually the same thing: a magical, soft+chewy bread substance prepared fresh by the owner outside in front of the restaurant. I would say it leans more towards a homemade Mexican flour tortilla than less-dense Indian naan, but it's just perfect paired with curry as well.

We ordered the spicy (actually not that spicy) chicken curry pictured above. Definitely not your standard Taiwanese curry. I'm not exactly sure what makes it so different--maybe it's not as sweet, or more heavily-spiced--but it tastes authentic, and oh-so-very good. 


I ended up choosing the beef and double cheese burrito, instead of the intriguing "fruit, potato, and cheese" burrito my heart really wanted. My good decision making skills may have won out this time, but I'll be back! My curiosity must needs be satisfied.

Though there were no beans inside (?), this burrito was still very satisfying. The double cheese did not stand out as much as I thought it would, and closer inspection revealed it to be that fake orange American cheese sold in prepackaged slices in Carrefour, but whatever I don't care!!! The tortilla was sooooo good, and the mixture of rice, cheese, vegetables, and beef just right. Plus its oily juices ran all over the place with every bite. Aah.

This restaurant is just what Kaohsiung needs: a taste of the exotic to break up the endless cycle of noodles, hot pot, rice, noodles, hot pot... And ONLY Kaohsiung could have it. It may not be as authentic as actual restaurants in India or Mexico, or maybe even as delicious, but that's not the point--it is its own creation, completely unique and utterly charming. 

For such a special experience, I am very happy to give away Kaohsiung Gastronaut Handbook's very first INFINITE RECOMMENDATION.

OVERALL RATING: 5/5



No comments:

Post a Comment